Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Is the church a safehaven?

Some of the questions you ask, I might waiver a bit on the answer. Usually, I can some an argument on both sides. In this case, the answer is easy...NO!

Oh, you want me to explain too? Well you asked for it....I am a pretty young guy, and have only experienced the most recent segment of the history of the church. Based on my knowledge of scripture, when the church started it was very open. People were 'crazy enough' to sell all their stuff and give it to the church to share with others, you can only assume they shared the burdens as well. My first instinct is to say that this exists in the black church, but it really exists in both. The only difference is, the black church used to be more community...at least it sounds like it in negro hymns. But I have observed the same thing in the white church.

So what happened? At some point, I believe people started getting in trouble for telling the truth. To keep from getting abused for being honest, we learned to build elaborate walls to hide our faults, failures, and fears. Yep, the battle tide swung and the enemy began to win.

I must pick on people like LaShawn Chandler, William Murphy III, Tejado Hanchell, whom I have observed on Facebook. All three are preachers that have shared intimate details about their private lives, details that show vulnerability. LaShawn shared that she was feeling weak a couple days ago. William Murphy confessed to wanted to respond undignified to the Delta ticket counter lady. Tejado Hanchell is a pastor who was coming off a fast and was going for a Burger King Angry Whopper. This is stuff people used to would not know.

I will go a step further and say that we have gotten so good at hiding from others, we can no longer see ourselves. Think about that just a minute. I don't have the 12 step program memorized, but I think the first step is admitting you got a problem. The enemy has been so slick, we do not see our own problems.

So, what is the answer. Transparency. I too have been guilty of guarding my flaws like the Hope diamond. I was trained to. God has delivered me from the curse. In sharing my faults, people have been able to speak into my life. Through them, God has been able to grow me into the Levite he called me to be. Transparency will first allow us to see ourselves, and to be delivered. Then, it will begin to bring deliverance in those around us. They will see us as not just bible toting dieties (man I hope I spelled that right) to seeing us as them. That's deep. When people can see themselves in us, they will begin to see Christ in us. And you know what happens after that. The church will be what Christ intended it to be...Safe Haven.

No comments: