Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Jesus Asks for Help

I am going to start this installment, but probably will not get done. I think it falls into my "Get Naked For Christ Series". We'll deal with the vulnerability of being naked this time.

Someone sent me (you know those emails that float around, that we often ignore) some amazing pics of statues that had been done depicting Christ's journey to Calvary. One in particular jumped out at me. It showed Christ, on his knees, seemingly overcome by the weight of the cross.

"And as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name: him they compelled to bear his cross." - Matthew 27:32

"And they compel one Simon a Cyrenian, who passed by, coming out of the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to bear his cross."Mark 15:21

"And as they led him away, they laid hold upon one Simon, a Cyrenian, coming out of the country, and on him they laid the cross, that he might bear it after Jesus." Luke 36:26

"And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha"-John 9:17

These scriptures give account of the walk Jesus had to make to Calvary. I listed all four to make a point, I found from www.wikianswers.com. Four people saw this same event, but only three mentioned the man that help him carry the cross. I say that to say, you have to be careful hinging on just one word, even in the bible. The Word teaches us to study to show thyself approved. A new friend chastised me and others for "taking someone's word for it". We have become way to dependent on the words of others, instead of The Word. I will leave that along.

Anyway, Jesus fell under the load of His destiny. He knew he had to get that cross to the hill. I mean, otherswise we would all still be lost. Yet on his way, it became too much. I have to plug Mel Gibson here for his rendering of the journey to the cross. No offense to whoever did the "pretty" versions before, but people needed to see the reality. It was horrific!

But, he was Jesus. He was setting an example he knew we would have to follow. Why did he not endure hardness like a good soldier? Why did he not just press toward the mark of the high calling? Why was in not strong in the power of His might? Because he was human. I believe that Jesus main purpose for actually living on the earth, was to show us how to. So why do we as "christians" feel like we must present a superhero image? Why do we have to make everybody think we are able carry everything? Pride.

As I am becoming naked, I am realizing there is a vulnerability. We think that people should only see us abound, but not abased (Paul). What happens is we have people right next to us going through, and they feel like they can't make. But, we have not set the atmosphere for them to say, Help.

He was Jesus! He coulda carried it by himself, but he fell. It was then that something amazing happened. Our saviour asked for help. I felt a bit down yesterday. Rather than posting my usual upbeat status on Facebook, I asked for help. I asked how many Christians ever had trouble trusting God? There was an outpour of support, and bible-based encouragement. It blessed me, and I believe it blessed someone else reading it.

If we could only let go of our superhero persona, and ask for help, God will bless us, and others will see that true strength is not just within. It is wrapped in our God, and our fellow laborers.

No comments: