Friday, March 20, 2009

The"F" Word

"Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." - Mark 8:38 KJV

It's the word you were taught was inappropriate. A word, that is okay around people you are close to, but not strangers, and don't you dare say it in a meeting, or at a business lunch. F........aith. Sounds silly, but how much do you discuss God? How many times have you thought to say grace when out to lunch with co-workers, but you did not. This is not just at work. When was the last time you were talking to a soror who had just been diagnosed with a illness, and you said "Let's Pray!".

This was me. I always thought it was not "politically correct" to be open about my faith. Yeah, my church members knew, and my family knew, but you had to be in my tight circle to know my faith. It just felt wrong to say Jesus around people that I was not familiar with.

Then one day, God spoke to me as plain as day. Why should I be uncomfortable discussing something so valuable to me, when people around me freely use the other "f word". It sometimes amazes me the things that people will openly say, but then will not say God, Jesus, the devil, Holy Spirit...

Not anymore. Now, there's a good chance I'll ask the clerk at Food Lion what church he goes to. It makes both wordly sense, and Godly sense, that we cannot grow the ministry unless we share it with people outside the "God Circle". The amazing thing was, as I began to open up about my faith, others get comfortable expressing theirs.

So the next time your coworker (or you...lol) uses the other "F" word, maybe you'll think about Mark 8:38.

No comments: